Monday, September 26, 2016

Breath In, Breathe Out

Breathe in.  Breathe out.  That’s usually not too hard.  In fact, it is the first and last thing we ever do in life.  It is essential to life.  We can’t do without it.  The main function of the respiratory system is to supply the blood with oxygen so the blood can deliver oxygen to all parts of the body.  That’s why we breathe.  
The lungs are bigger than you may think.  I am told that laid flat they are about the size of a tennis court.  Put all of that in your chest and appreciate what it does not only to keep us alive but to give us the energy we need to do everything else.  Without adequate oxygen we lack vitality in so many ways.  Our cells can deteriorate and open us to sickness and disease.  That is the worst of it.

The best of it is that we can do more to vitalize our lungs and our blood through purposeful breathing exercises called Pranayama, and purposely combining the breath with movement in yoga.  I remember my father breathing in fresh air in the morning as he did his deep breathing exercises.  I wish I would have followed him back then.  Now I am making up for it with yoga and Pranayama.  Please breathe with me.  It does a body good.  www.gobodhiyoga.com

No comments:

Post a Comment